Strawberries, strawberries and more strawberries!

Happy Tuesday! We have almost made it to midweek.  The Whalen household has hit another milestone this week. Last week, TMan went to Crusader's Camp for the first time and this week, Maddie is embarking on new adventures at Junior Camp.  We are well into the second day, so far no phone calls, no injuries, I think we are doing ok.  =) She is making new friends and new memories! 

Well 4th of July is right around the corner! Hard to believe how quickly 2015 has flown by.  This time of year is one of my favorites. I love the patriotism, the excitement that is in the air, the parades, the kids dressed in red, white and blue waving the American flag.  Most importantly, I love the freedom we enjoy every day. It is the sacrifice that so many make to protect this country.  We recently took a family vacation to Washington DC.  The hubs and kiddos have never been before and I enjoyed seeing their faces as they looked upon the monuments and took in all the history.  I had to question how anyone would choose to burn a flag or hate this country so much with everything that America has to offer.  Our history is so great and while I am not a history buff (that would be the hubs that could tell you anything you want to know) I enjoy seeing where America has come from. 






Thank you to those who have served our country!!!

Speaking of 4th of July, I am looking for new recipes to try.  My family LOVES strawberries so I want to try as many different recipes as I can. 

First one to try: Strawberry Tart courtesy of DearLillieBlog


Crust:

1 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 cup + 1 Tbsp. shortening
2-3 Tbsp. cold water

Mix together and press into pie dish
(We've also used that pre-made Pillsbury dough before too when we've been in a hurry and it works great as well)
Cook at 425 degrees for first 5 minutes then down to 375 degrees for 5-10 minutes

Now place between 2-4 cups of sliced strawberries in the crust

Glaze:
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
3 Tbsp. cornstarch
4 Tbsp. strawberry jello powder

Mix dry ingredients
Add water
Cook over medium to high heat until mixture is clear and starts to boil
Let cool a few minutes then pour over strawberries
Refrigerate for 3-4 hours
Enjoy!



Have you ever tried this one? What is your favorite strawberry recipe?  Share if you like. 

Comments